Career in Nursing can be Very Flexible,
You might choose to work in a hospital, nursing home, rehabilitation center or other extended-care facility. You might work with a private practice physician, in a community health agency, a federal nursing agency, in industry and business, at a school, or in the military. Additionally, work can include, but is not limited to:
- Assisting medical specialists such as surgeons and obstetricians
- Pursuing independent nursing careers, such as legal nurse consultants, medical
- writers, nurse practitioners or clinical nurse specialists
- Joining medical, nursing and forensic research teams
- Providing nursing-on- call for home patients (home health agencies)
- Serving international organizations, such as the United Nations or the Red Cross
- Teaching aspiring nurses
- Working at community health clinics
- Working in specialized health care units and long-term care facilities such as hospice nursing, standalone nursing homes and patient rehabilitation
- Working on boards to assist in developing hospital regulations
- Working with health care, insurance and medical businesses
Hospital Nursing: forms the largest group of nurses and are assigned with specialized duties like taking care of patients belonging to- intensive care, pediatrics, orthopedics, psychiatry, obstetric and other sections.
Military Nursing: Unmarried, widowed or legally separated women can opt for nursing courses imparted in military institutes. They have to sign a bond declaring their mandatory service of 5 years in the military.
Benefits: Nursing comprises the largest group of people working in the health sector either as nurses or as nursing assistants. There are about 500 colleges all over India imparting education to about 10,000 students every year. The minimum age for applying for a nursing course is only 17 years which will be advantageous for people who wants to earn early in life.
Scopes in India: With an increase in health consciousness the quality of health services has also improved. Well trained, specialized nurses are being recruited by health organizations all over the country. Students of nursing have job prospects in government or private hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, old age homes, orphanages, industries, military services, schools and various other places.
Scopes Abroad: India has the largest number of nurses going abroad. Majority of nurses all over the world belong to the Indian state of Kerala. The standard of health services in the western countries is very high. In those countries students of nursing can find jobs in specialized fields like Medical, Surgical, Telemetry (CCU), ICU, ER and several others. The pay packet for nurses is also is higher in countries abroad.